Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:46:31 +0700
From:      budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id>
To:        ixion@inicia.es
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp error

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:49:41PM -0500, ixion@inicia.es wrote:
>hi,
>i have edited /etc/ppp.conf several times with the info i read on the HandBook
>and all over the net. however, i have never surfed freely.
>it sometimes connects (sometimes, when using kppp, it runs, but most of
>the time, even if i use kppp, i canīt finish the tcp 3 way handshake (as
>i was told)!)...without running the X server (console mode) i have never
>got PPP running...
>in the next lines i paste the content of /etc/ppp.conf
>
>default:
> set device /dev/cuaa1
> set speed 115200
> set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
>           OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\ATDP\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> set timeout 180
>
>airtelnet:
> set phone 1071943101110
> set login
> set authname xxxxxx
> set authkey xxxxxx
> set timeout 120
> set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
> add default HISADDR
> dial <=====is this line needed?
>
>the content of /etc/resolv.conf is:
>
>domain airtel.net
>nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
>i donīt know whatīs wrong :-(
>i have ppp compiled on my kernel...
>Really Thx in advance :-)
>Iker Cazenave
>PD: id the info i have given to you is not enough...i will attach the log
>file if you consider it necessary :-)

At the first time you should check with ifconfig command. and u should
see "ppp" field, after that check the modem support (I use US Robotic
Modem External and it's auto detect by FreeBSD), and try connect to your
ISP, My prediction maybe you've trouble with ISP. please call your
administrator, BTW dial on your configuration doesn't needed, it's
comment via sheel interactive. for the test please uncomment option "set
timeout 120" this mean you will disconnect after 120 second.

--
budsz