Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2010 23:04:34 -0700
From:      Diego Montalvo <dmontalvo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Festival 1.9.6_1 Port Successfully Running on FreeBSD 7.x - 8.x??

Update...  Frustrated by unknown errors in what seemed initially a
successful port install and hours searching for fixes decided to
"pkg_deinstalled" festival 1.9.6_1 and all dependencies.

After rebooting decided to download the latest version of
festival-2.0.95-beta.tar.gz located at http://festvox.org/festival/ .
After reading instructions and disabling certain sound device support,
compiled required Festival files with gmake also installed "voices,
lexicons & dicts"

After a few gmake tests, decided to test out "text2wave hello.txt -o
hello.wav"  to my freaking suprise it works like a charm!  Have not
tested any speech stuff, since all I need is "text2wave" to work
properly.  Totally stoked latest Festival  2.0.95 (Circa 2010) working
on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE

Cheers,
Diego