Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:15:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Greg Panula wrote:

> Chen Xu wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 10:37  AM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> > >
> > > Beware the contents of /etc/make.conf if you have machines with
> > > different processors (Athlon versus Pentium versus i686)
> >
> > Are you saying the kernel compiled at one type of cpu will not
> > work on the other type of cpu EVEN the config file it right?
> > A generic kernel shipped with CD was certainly compiled
> > with only one type of cpu? I might miss something here.
>
> I use an Althon CPU in my "world-builder" box and I haven't run into any
> problems with worlds&kernels built on that box for Intel based
> machines(P90-PIII450).  The worldbuilder has an empty /etc/make.conf.
>
> I think Michael was just warning about CPU specific stuff in
> /etc/make.conf on the machine doing the actual building.  Take a look at
> /etc/defaults/make.conf for various CPU specific variables that can be
> set.

    Right.  IF you're going to set a CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf, it has
to be set to the lowest common denominator of all of the machines that
are going to be installing from the build machine.

    Of course, if one has the disk space, one can do a few
cross-builds using the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX environment variable, then
install from the appropriate cross-build.  That's not terribly
sensible until the base compiler is GCC-3.1, which has support for
some of the newer CPUs.

Example:

    env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj.p3 make buildworld CPUTYPE=p3

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant