Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 18:44:10 +0200
From:      Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic mail and Sendmail problem

>>When I know try to send a mail to 'userone' with 'mail -v userone'
>>I get the following error (same error in /var/spool/clientmqueue):
>>userone... Connecting to localhost.mydomain. via relay...
>>userone... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.mydomain.
>>

>Sounds like you don't have the sendmail MTA daemon running.  To check
>that, see if there is anything listening on usual sendmail ports:
>
>    happy-idiot-talk:~:% netstat -a | grep 'smtp\|submission'

Result at my machine is quite similar:
tcp4    0    0    *.submission    *.*        LISTEN
tcp4    0    0    *.smtp              *.*        LISTEN

>and the process table:
>    happy-idiot-talk:~:% ps -auxww | grep sendmail
>    root      102  0.0  0.4  2804 2240  ??  Ss    2:30PM   0:00.30 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
>    smmsp     105  0.0  0.4  2700 2192  ??  Is    2:30PM   0:00.01 sendmail: Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)

the process table is also the same, but only when I am connected to my
ISP - otherwise
"sendmail: Queue runner ..." isn't running. (My problems only occur when
I am not
connected to my ISP!)

>What do you have in your /etc/rc.conf that's sendmail related?

Only  sendmail_enable="YES",  so the lines in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
should be used.

>Have you made any significant modifications to the sendmail configuration

No, none yet!

I had also checked the files in /var/log and the headers in
/var/spool/clientmqueue but the error
messages there are the same as above.

Cheers...
Frank