Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:00:28 -0800
From:      John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFH: Some things I don't understand about the 4.4-STABLE code

Hello all,

Still trying to discover why my Xircom card/PCICIA slot (embedded in the
machine, so I cannot tell which it is for now) is not working since I
upgraded to 4.4 (first the -RELEASE and now -STABLE). There are a few
things about the output from the new code that puzzle me, and I cannot
seem to find out where they come from:

1) Why the output changed to show three pcic devices instead of two
pcic-pci and two pcic ones. I'm not sure what is meant to happen in the
new system. The output is like this:

pcic0: <TI PCI-1131 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 9 at device 7.0 on pci0
pcic0: PCI Memory allocated: 0x44000000
pcic0: Polling mode
pcic0: TI113X PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][CSC serial isa irq]
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pcic1: <TI PCI-1131 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 10 at device 7.1 on pci0
pcic1: PCI Memory allocated: 0x44001000
pcic1: Polling mode
pcic1: TI113X PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][CSC serial isa irq]
pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic1

[other stuff]

pcic2: <Cirrus logic 6722> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
pcic2: Polling mode
pccard2: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic2
pccard3: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic2

Under 4.3 I get this which makes much more sense for my Hinote's
hardware configuration:

pcic-pci0: <TI PCI-1131 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 9 at device 7.0 on pci0
pcic-pci0: TI113X PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][CSC serial isa irq]
pcic-pci1: <TI PCI-1131 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 10 at device 7.1 on pci0
pcic-pci1: TI113X PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][CSC serial isa irq]

[other stuff]

pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD672X> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
pcic0: Polling mode
pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pcic1: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 on isa0
pcic1: Polling mode
pccard2: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic1
pccard3: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic1

2) Where do I find the code that detected pcic2 and logged the message
shown? Since the Xircom card is connected to that controller (or at
least it was under 4.3), I suspect that the problem is something to do
with that device being detected in the ISA device scan.

3) Why do pcic0 and pcic1 only have one pccard associated with them, but
pcic2 has two (as expected)?

4) Should I see any messages for the VLSI 82C146 under 4.4? Do I need to
tell the system that there is a pcic3 somewhere too? I tried adding them
to the kernel config, but that made no difference.

I should add that my LinkSys 802.11 card is working just fine in the
external slot I use for it. I haven't tried it in the second external
slot. These are not on the Cirrus chip though (assuming that the pccard
numbers in 4.3 correspond to the slot numbers).

Any pointers much appreciated as I cannot work much more out from the
code... All I know for sure is that the xe device probe fails because it
does not get sensible information from what it believes to be the card's
CIS. Since I know the card works, I can only assume that this is
something funny in the way the memory is mapped during the PCMCIA
subsystem initialisation.

Thanks in advance,

John...