Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] mbuf 128 vs 1k bytes ??

David Greenman wrote:

>    Because mbufs are no longer allocated out of the malloc pool. The 1K entry
> that you are seeing is just some malloc() in the kernel that (probably bogusly)
> specified the M_MBUF type. I only have 1 of them on my machine:
>
>         Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
>          mbuf     1     1K      1K 19661K        1    0     0  1K
>
>    ...anyway, this is all much to do about nothing. To find out how many
> network buffers are in-use, use netstat -m.

	ah...that's might be all the hint that i needed:

	how about this code in machdep.c 1.199 1996/08/19 line 365

        /*
         * Finally, allocate mbuf pool.  Since mclrefcnt is an off-size
         * we use the more space efficient malloc in place of kmem_alloc.
         */
        mclrefcnt = (char *)malloc(nmbclusters+PAGE_SIZE/MCLBYTES,
                                   M_MBUF, M_NOWAIT);
        bzero(mclrefcnt, nmbclusters+PAGE_SIZE/MCLBYTES);

	looking at /sys/sys/malloc.h, i dont see what else this might
	be classified as ;(

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG