Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 08:26:07 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Any network gurus out there?

My company has allocated 255 IP addresses for the project on
which I'm working.  I'm having problems routing from networks
A and B to/from the other side of my companys router.  A simple
diagram is shown below.

I believe the problem is that my companys router has a netmask of
0xffffff00 and no routes to networks A and B through the FreeBSD
router.  Without getting in to company politics (and how long it
takes to get anything done!), I don't really want to attempt getting
my companys network administrators to change the configuration of
their router.

Is there any way to get the FreeBSD router to route addresses
X.Y.109.64-255 to the proper interfaces?  Is there such thing as
a proxy ARP over ethernet and how is it configured?

I've searched the mail archives for proxy ARP and ethernet and came
up with a few hits, but was unable to view any of the postings; they
came up empty.  Even looking at the html files revealed no text of
the messages.

               X.Y.109.128-255 netmask 0xffffff80
              +---------------- Network A

              |       X.Y.109.64-127 netmask 0xffffffc0