Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 08:58:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   Thanks, & summary

Thanks for all the invaluable assistance folks. Much appreciated.
Many people have helped on a number of items, some of which I'll summarise
here, perhaps others can use the info;  To those specifically who gave me
this info, thanks very much. Hope you dont mind me passing it on.

The Malloc Warning problem;

	This problem was showing up in httpd- error_log files
	as a Malloc warning: free(): page already free.

	To trap the offending beast, and find out just what was
	causing this, the author of malloc gave me this trap;
	ln -s AJ /etc/malloc.conf

	This causes the malloc offender to dump.core, also producing
	the pid of the offending process. Very neat. Look on your
	primary screen for the resulting message.

The printing problem.

	How do you get an IBM Proprinter/Cannon BJ330e to do
	CR/CRLF printing, and avoid the dreaded staircase output.

	The following printcap and if-simple interface shows how.

#/etc/printcap
#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
# Do also refer to section 7 (Printing) of the handbook.  A local copy
# can be found under /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.{html,latin1}.
#
rattan|line|cannon|lp|local line printer:\
	:sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/rattan:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	:ff=\033\033&k2G:fo:tr=\033E:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

and,

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/libexec/if-simple chmod 555
#
# if-simple text filter for lpd
if [ "$1" = -c ]; then
	cat
else
	sed -e s/./
/
fi
#sed puts a CR/LF at the start of each text line.
#

The third problem

	How do I log the ftpd output to /var/log/ftpd

	in inetd.conf put 'ftpd -l -S' instead of jus
	ftpd -l, and ..... in syslog.conf, put the
	following
	!ftpd
	*.*	/var/log/ftpd

The fourth problem

	Why wont Apache recognise a shell script that NSCA
	has no trouble with?

	no solution yet...

cheers,
Robert

--
Reality. re al 'i ty. Something for those with no imagination.
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au