Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 22:22:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "William A. Arbaugh" <waarbau@super.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Latest SNAP install hangs at 'changing root device ...'

Here's some more info on the problem that at least two of us (one with
IDE and one with SCSI) are having.

1. The 0322 SNAP fixit disk can mount the /dev/sd0a produced by the 04
install process.  Every thing seems fine, but I'm not sure what I should
look for (if anything).  In desperation, I copied the 0322 kernel off of
the fixit disk and rebooted.  No luck! (but then I didn't expect it to
work)  Just a reboot cycle with nothing useful.

2. During the 04 install process I watched the stdout/stderr output to the
second vt.  The only unusual thing I noticed was during newfs.  newfs
prints out 'calculated sectors per cyl 4096 disagrees with disklabel
(2046)'.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

If some one can point me to a 0412 based fixit disk, I can try that and
see what I can find.  At this point, I've exhausted all the ideas I have
to figure this out.  Any and all ideas appreciated.

Bill Arbaugh			"Waste of time is the most
waarbau@super.org		 extravagant of all expenses"
waa@dsl.cis.upenn.edu			-Theophrastus