Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:41:51 -0500
From:      Daniel.M.Obrien@att.com
To:        ejc@naserver1.cb.att.com, pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, committers@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Paul's rules of order for committers (Re: -current submitting policys)

> (b) don't commit non-functional code
> 	- it's not ok to commit stuff that doesn't work.  if you're working
> 	  on something and want to let people know there is work-in-progress,
> 	  just send mail to committers or current or hackers as appropriate.
> 	  if you want people to test something, put it up separately for ftp
> 	- it's ok to commit stuff that doesn't quite work that is NEW, as
> 	  long as it's not linked into the system -- this should only be
> 	  done for collaborative efforts that are complex enough that using
> 	  CVS as a go-between is a big win. (this is the exception rather than
> 	  the rule).

One observation I have made after 1) recently experiencing a ``broken
-current'' (Sig 11's), and 2) watching submits really, really close (waiting
for a fix), what disturbs me most are consecutive submissions saying ``Did
this...''  and then ``Oops, shouldn't have done that...''

I guess it is good that the ``fix'' is turned around quickly, but what bothers
me is that I'm left with the feeling that the source submission process
(source tree) is being used as a place to park changes rather than parking
them locally (on developer's system), and compiling & soaking them on the
developer's system.  (Thus bending Paul's unwritten rules above.)

If the ``Oops'' submission didn't happen in time, nothing prevents me and
others from pulling the changes and installing them into our systems.  If the
submitter found the ``Oops'' so quickly, why wasn't it found before the
original submitting?

My minds eye suggests the process being followed is 1) make change, 2) submit,
3) try it, 4) ``Oops'', 5) make new change, 6) submit, 7) try it....
This is based on my anecdotal observations of submits.

I don't mind being a guinea pig testing code on my ``unique'' system, but
would rather not be the first one to try something new...  unless it's code I
changed :-)

Thanks for listening.  Now back to lurking...

Dan O'Brien
Lucent Technologies (Bell Labs Innovations)
Columbus, OH  USA