Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:57:50 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Motherboard and ATA Questions

I was thinking about buying myself an EPOX EP-7KXA motherboard
with the VIA Apollo KX133 chipset.  But I read that VIA Apollo
chipsets have some problems with FreeBSD 4.0.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular chipset?

Does it depend upon the particular hard drives that I am using?

I read that a solution is to add the lines
/sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
to the beginning of rc.  Does that mean that I will suffer
a performance loss in not being able to use the ATA66?

I notice that there was a lot of talk about putting statements
about this in UPDATING, but I don't see anything there about it.
Also, wouldn't it be appropriate to say something about this in
the Errata?

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu