Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:01:58 -0600
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        "smp@freebsd.org" <smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell 1550 SMP crash

>Searching the archives for "type 29", this looks like a problem that James
>FitzGibbon reported in May 2000 with a Dell PowerEdge 2450. Drew Eckhardt
>posted a response and then the thread basically died.

I had some headaches with frequent (I couldn't do a parallel make buildworld)
unexplained T_RESESVEDs and looked at several possibilities:

1.  The SIMD instruction fault. This wasn't happening.

2.  One of the other 32 CPU traps which is allegedly still reserved.
    This wasn't happening.

3.  Something generated by the APIC.  Explicitly initializing the unused
    APIC pins eliminated most but not all of these (every week or so it might
    crash), suggesting that some form of hardware problem may be responsible.

    The simplest sometimes working solutions to hardware problems are
	1.  Unplugging and replugging things
	2.  Swapping parts

    So I unplugged and swapped my two Slot-1 PIII 600E processors and found
    that the problem stopped entirely.

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.