Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 07:21:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        kpneal@pobox.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

> > You don't want to set up a nameserver.
>
> No fair.  We're talking about technical reasons here, not emotional ones.

Because you are running a very small machine as your gateway: it has
only 4M of RAM, and it netboots off another machine using "netboot"
in an autoexec.bat file on a boot floppy.

And there just isn't room for the pig.  8-) 8-).

> It keeps your host names consistent across the local net?  It caches
> name server lookups across your slow Internet connection?

I told you before: I don't want it caching non-local data.

> named is your friend.

If it were my friend, it's have a Motif front end to set it up,
like all my other friends...  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---