Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:30:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hiren@tagore.wipinfo.soft.net (Hiren Mehta)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about msdosfs file system

> Hi All,
>
> In case of MSDOS formatted device, is there any guarantee that the
> files are will start on 8192 bytes boundary of the device ?

No.

There is neither a guarantee that it will start on a 4096 byte boundary,
a 2048, or a 1024.

There *is* a guarantee that it will start on a 512 byte boundary.

In general, where it starts depends on the C:H:S geometry of the device;
specifically, DOS likes to write the DOS partition table to place the
DOS partitions to start and end on cylinder boundaries.

This means that for a default DOS device, where the first partition
is not munged by an ill-informed "do-gooder", it will start at the
0 + S * H'th sector.

Obviously, this can be on any boundary, whatsoever, based on the
values of H and S.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---