Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:05:38 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multihomed Routing

> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
> >
> > > Yesterday I got into a discussion with one of my asociates about if a
> > > Network has 2 Routes out how do you tell your servers to switch between
> > > the routes without having to manually go in and change them. The
> > > discussion was not how the routers/switches were going to do it but how
> > > would are FreeBSD servers no what route to take out. Would the FreeBSD
> > > servers have to run routed or some other routing based deamon to know
> > > what there gateway route is? In theory we should not have to set a
> > > default route on this network for any of our machines.

Wouldn't listening to/soliciting router discovery ICMP
messages on your hosts take care of this? See RFC 1256.
Supposedly FreeBSD `routed' already does this.  When you have
multiple routers in your network this ought to be better than
hardwiring a default gateway on your hosts.  But you
shouldn't need to run RIP or OSPF on your hosts.