Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:03:17 -0500
From:      "shivak" <shivak@shivakaul.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS and SFS - alternatives?

Soon, I will be implementing a network where network-exported
filesystems are a crucial component of functionality. Naturally, I
looked to NFS as a solution, but I have heard of many people having
problems with it (i'm basically worried about performance and security).
Somebody told me about SFS (http://www.fs.net), and i thought, "hey,
self certifying cryptographic network file system? cool!" But I'm not
sure about the actual protocol. Taken from the SFS manual: "The SFS
read-write server software requires each SFS server to run an NFS
server." Is this SFS thing just an addon to NFS? huh?

In the end, I'm quite confused. I'm just a guy looking for a good
network exportable file system. I'm not that worried about cryptography,
I'm more concerned with inherent problems in the protocols themselves.
I'm sure that some of you have had some experience with this. What do
you suggest?

Thanks in advance.