Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:07:08 +0100
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ext3 -> fbsd

On 11 Jan Bill Moran wrote:
> FreeBSD _does_ understand ext2.  See the mount_ext2fs command for
> details.  Unfortunately, ext3 isn't supported yet AFAIK.

So, if I switch this drive to another (fbsd) box I could copy form one
(ext2) drive to another UFS drive preserving all persmission?
Or would it be better to tar the drive onto the new one; reformat the
old drive as UFS and untar back?

> Any reason why you can't copy the contents of this partition to
> another computer (via network) and then reformat it UFS while
> installing FreeBSD and copy everything back?

Network too slow (for a transfer of approx 35G), plus _space_ :)

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.7 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)