Date:      17 Jan 2002 13:13:48 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting dialup firewall to DHCP

freebsd@prayforwind.com ("Steve Brown") writes:

> It's there. I've been using this firewall scheme for some months with dialup
> and PPPoE (using tun0). But seems that tun0 is not part of the way DHCP
> works, so I'm trying to re-implement this firewall to deal with DHCP.

If you're still using PPPoE, you'll still need tun0, and DHCP would
have to work over it.  If you're not using PPPoE any more, then you
would need to configure the network on whatever interface you *are*
using.  For a two-Ethernet setup, my own rc.conf(5) includes:
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_dc0="inet 172.30.250.1 netmask 255.255.255.248"