Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 14:24:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brian Mitchell <brian@saturn.net>
To:        Christian Hochhold <vlad@dusk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions...

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Christian Hochhold wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone answer a quick question for me,
> it would be most appreciated.
>
> The /sbin directory's ( as an example ) files seem to
> be executable by anyone on the system.
> I have changed a few of the files ( ie. dmesg )
> to be executable by root as well as
> the bin group only.
>
> What files should I be most concerned about that
> users can execute ( such as ifconfig ) but really
> have no business to?
>
> What about directories such as / ?

Unless they are privledged programs, why bother changing the permissions?
If the user really wants to run that non-privledged bin, he can upload a
copy of it himself, chmod it and execute it.

sgid or suid binaries, on the other hand, are a entirely different matter.

Brian Mitchell / brian@saturn.net