Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:44:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to create /dev/X

Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net> types:
> Since there's loads of space to waste on that disk, I thought it was a
> good idea to have a separate slice for /, /var, /tmp, /home, /usr, /usr/local,
> /usr/src, /usr/X11 (which I was to symlink to whichever version I run) and
> so on.

First, FreeBSD terminology. The things that DOS users call partitions
(4 to a disk, unless you have logical ones inside another one) are
called "slices". The things you can mount file systems on are called
"partitions". Since FreeBSD can't put a file system on a logical
slice, I assume you mean partitions, not slices.

Now - why did you think having lots of partitions is a good idea?
That the sizes of all the above match your backup media is about the
only reason I can think of for doing that.

> What I did not think of beforehand is that I seemingly ran out of
> device nodes for /dev/ad..., so /stand/sysinstall put /dev/X (yes, a
> literal 'X') into /dev/fstab which obviously causes problems.

What you actually ran out of was partitions - you only have 8 usable
partitions per slice. So your 8 file systems and swap is to many. I'd
be interested to know the 9 device names you used for this.

Mangling /etc/fstab (that is what you meant, right?) sounds like a bug
- probably from walking past the end of an array somewhere. Care to
try recreating it?

> Now, here comes the question: Is there a way to get around that (Well,
> obviously, I could make /usr one big slice, but besides that.)? Or, was I to
> use a simple mknod with the appropriate numbers, whichever these might be...?
> Or did I slam the hard limit again...?

Yes, you ran into a hard limit. There are a couple of workarounds,
though.

You could put /tmp on a memory file system. That saves you one file
system, so it fits.

If you've got a spare slice, you can divide your FreeBSD slice into
two slices, and then put partitions in both slices. With 8 partitions
per slice, that gives you 16 partitions. They'll be called
/dev/ad0s#?, where # is the slice number (1, 2, 3 or 4), and ? is the
partition letter (a-h), so it would be, for instance /dev/ad0s2a for
root, and /dev/ad0s3d for /home.

	<mik