Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:32:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Greg Fausak <lgfausak@august.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, greg@august.net
Subject:   Re: BPF usage questions

Greg Fausak wrote:

> FreeBSD Net Mail List:
>
> I've got an application on FreeBSD which is running several hundred
> network interfaces.  They are frame relay interfaces, about 120
> per T1 line, and I currently have 4 T1 lines.
>
> We offer our customers DHCP.  About 200 of them have requested
> it.  To provide DHCP we use the ISC implementation which employs
> BPFilters.  I've modified the kernel to accompdate 255 bpf devices.
> I seem to be limited by the number of minor devices allowed.
>
> I have a few questions concerning the use of BPFs...any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1) Is it wise to use so many BPF devices?
>
> 2) Is there any way to increase the number of BPF devices beyond 255?
>
> and, finally, the real questions...
>
> 3) Is there some way I can listen on a single device and determine
>    what real device a packet comes in on and...
>
> 4) Has anyone done something like this?  This is much like the
>    dhcp helper command on a cisco router.  I'd like to be able to
>    serve DHCP for thousands of 'devices'.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but archie and I have been looking
at using netgraph for this.
Of course we have pretty full (approved by MCI) frame relay support in
Netgraph already
so all teh device driver needs to do is supply a simple netgraph
interface, and let us do
the frame relay demultiplexing. It is then very simple to slot in a
netgraph node
to filter out and redirect all DHCP stuff. We don;t support DHCP with
our
netgraph code at teh moment but it wouldn;t be hard, and as a kernel
module it could
easily handle thousands of dhcp clients with very littel system load.

What software are you using for frame relay at the moment?

> ---greg
> Greg Fausak
> August.Net Services, LLC
> greg@august.net