Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:27:35 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home MP3 juke-box

I just setup a mp3 box for the dining room here so I could give you a
few hints.

First off, you don't need that much processing power. The box I setup
is a very crappy pentium 166. I had to throw in extra RAM in order to
run X properly (64M), but apart from that, the box was ok. I had a
spare AWE SoundBlaster lying around which is perfect for the task.

Just to give you a rough idea, I think it could be possible to stream
audio to 2 cards using such a box since XMMS uses around 40% of the
CPU decoding one stream.

You have some plugins for XMMS that enable it to use infrared remote
controls but I'm not sure the level of support those have on fbsd. See
xmms.org for more details.

For the CD ripping part, I suggest using Grip + ATAPICAM (if you're
using IDE CDROMs), it can be configured to automatically rip cds on
insertion.

As for the web interface, I think you'll have to code some stuff up
yourself since I don't know what software is available there. But you
could setup some kind of .pls (or .m3u) playlist generator that would
feed this to xmms.

But why use the web when you can avoid it?! :)

There's been some discussions over -stable about some tiny fanless PCs
that you might be interested in too.

Cheers,

A.