Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:52:54 -0700
From:      Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X not responding

I am having a problem with Xorg under FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE and 8.1 RC1:

When I type startx, the X server starts, and some xterm windows open, =
but it will not respond to keyboard or mouse input. The mouse pointer =
won't move, and the only keyboard input that does anything is =
CTRL-ALT-F1 etc. to switch virtual terminals.

If I install FreeBSD 7.1, which installs Xorg straight from the =
installation CD, it works fine. Under version 8, I've tried installing =
from ports and packages, and I get this problem.

When I first had this problem, I was running it under VirtualBox, so I =
thought maybe it was because VirtualBox's FreeBSD support is incomplete. =
But now I've tried it on real PC hardware, and I have the same problem.

Obviously some people must be running X under FreeBSD 8, so I must be =
doing something wrong in my installation or configuration, but I can't =
guess what it is.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
andy@balholm.com