Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:14:00 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, feebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em blues

At 10:34 AM 10/12/2006, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > >short version:
> > >the point im trying to make, is that the same setup, where I only change
> > >the release, is going downhill - with this particular MB.
> >
> > But its not the same necessarily. Some of the settings are different.
> > For example, disable net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable on 6.x if you want
> > it to be the same setting as on 4.  This kicks in when the hosts are
> > not directly connected and can hamper performance.
>
>I assume that by directly connected you mean not connected via WAN,
>and so, yes these hosts are on the same vlan, and no,
>                 net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=1/0
>make no difference

By directly connected, I mean on the same subnet. Whether the
underlying transport is over a WAN doesnt matter, as long as the two
devices are on the same subnet is what counts.  Just to rule out
issues like duplex setting bugs, I would try the two boxes back to
back and make sure its the same subpar performance.

         ---Mike