Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:02:45 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Robert Ames <robertames@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with rcp -r

I am seeing this same problem (except for the protocol error) on my
4.7-stable systems. Is recursive rcp really broken in -stable, or am I
halucinating here?

Note that on my -current and old 3.5 systems rcp -r is working as
expected. Here's what I get:

bob@luke:pc /tmp> mkdir x
bob@luke:pc /tmp> touch x/{a,b,c,d}
bob@luke:pc /tmp> rcp -r x rancor:/tmp
rcp: /tmp/x/a/b: Not a directory
rcp: /tmp/x/a/b/c: Not a directory
rcp: /tmp/x/a/b/c/d: Not a directory

and on the target system we have just:

bob@rancor:p7 /tmp> ls -l x
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 bob  wheel  0 Jan 28 17:00 a

I have tried this same test on three of my relatively recent -stable
systems here with identical results.

Bob

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 12:04:32PM -0500, Robert Ames wrote:
> In 4.7-RELEASE there seems to be a problem when using the -r option
> with rcp.  For example, doing rcp between two 4.7-RELEASE machines:
>
> # rcp -rp /etc testbox:/tmp
> rcp: /tmp/etc/defaults/rc.conf/make.conf: Not a directory
> rcp: /tmp/etc/defaults/rc.conf/make.conf/pccard.conf: Not a directory
> rcp: /tmp/etc/defaults/rc.conf/make.conf/pccard.conf/periodic.conf: Not a
> directory
> rcp: /tmp/etc/defaults/rc.conf/make.conf/pccard.conf/periodic.conf: set
> times: Not a directory
> rcp:
> /tmp/etc/defaults/rc.conf/make.conf/pccard.conf/periodic.conf/services: Not
> a directory
> rcp: protocol error: expected control record
> rcp: lost connection
>
> Has this been fixed in -STABLE?

Bob Willcox            We seem to have forgotten the simple truth that
bob@vieo.com           reason is never perfect. Only non-sense attains
Austin, TX             perfection.      -- Poul Henningsen [1894-1967]