Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:48:55 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        rsh <bsdgroup.md@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: External HDD

rsh wrote:
> Hi
>
> For backup purposes, i need removable HDD, connected through USB or
> Fireware
>
> I'm really impressed by Transcend solution and would like to use their
> Transcend 1.8" Portable HDD 20 GB, USB 2.0
> It takes power directly from USB.
>
> Did somebody have success with this device?
>
> If it is a bad idea, any suggestions for External HDD ?
>
> Thanks

Why would you want 1,8" ? That is very small indeed, but very limited as
well and expensive. You might as well buy a 2,5" (notebook) drive with
enclosure, that would just be recognised by FreeBSD as USB mass storage
device (umass) and works perfectly with me. Also most 2,5" enclosures
allow for USB power so only 1 cable is needed; though often they provide
an additional power supply if you use a 7200rpm drive which uses a lot
of power. My advice: go for Samsung 5400rpm drives they are very
power-efficient and still quite fast.

Good luck :)

- veronica