Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:40:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        tcobb@staff.circle.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking a Fatal Double Fault

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > The machine is running a custom kernel, but nothing
> > very unusual.  My instinct is that it may be related to
> > something with the 3c905B 3COM cards that I reported
> > earlier, I'm trying with Intel EtherExpresses right now
> > and getting no fault problems.
> >
> > The double-fault does not occur consistently, unfortunately,
> > and typically only occurs during my rc.local stuff (loading
> > a bunch (100+) of chrooted daemons) on boot-up.
> >
> > Would the eip/esp/ebp values be worth sending?
>
> They're meaningless without your kernel, but even then all you're going
> to be able to tell is where in the fault handler things died; you won't
> know the address of the original fault.
>
> There's nothing immediately obvious in the xl driver that would suggest
> that it uses excessive kernel stack either.  8(  Maybe someone has some
> clues on measuring stack usage (or simply on how to increase the kernel
> stack allocation...).

While you guys are on this subject, I'd like to sneak in a question on a
subject that's close by.  A while back, I had a kernel problem, and went
about finding out how to use kgdb and kernel dumps.  Unfortunately, by
the time I was completely ready to do it, the problem (you guys remember
the GPL_MATH_EMULATE thing?) went away.  Just for grins, I'd like to
force a kernel dump, so I can go the rest of the way in making sure my
test setup works, and I can get more used to it.  What's the safest way
to force a kernel dump (hopefully without screwing filesystems)?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).