Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:56:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting vinum subdisk

On Friday, 22 June 2001 at 14:17:23 +0400, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a vinum one-plex two-subdisks striped volume. One bad block
> occurred on one of the drives. After reassigning it from SCSI BIOS I had
> the whole plex 'corrupt', one of its subdisks 'up' and another one
> 'stale'. I have tried to 'start' the latter one, but this command hung,
> and 'stale' switched to 'R 0%'.
>
> Is it possible to make the second subdisk 'up' somehow? Since the only bad
> block has occurred almost all information there is accessible. I hope fsck
> is able to revive the filesystem if the bad block resides in the data
> area. If bad block resides in the vinum configuration area, maybe it is
> possible to restore the second disk using configuration information from
> the first one -- (both subdisks have equal sizes)? Unless it is not
> possible with conventional methods, maybe it is possible to do it via
> direct editing?

You don't say what revision of FreeBSD you're running.  I recently
added the keyword "retryerrors" to subdisk configuration.  You don't
have this, and your system is not redundant, so the "correct" answer
is to say "sorry, you've lost a subdisk".  I'm rethinking this view,
however.  In the meantime you should be able to use the 'setstate'
command to work around the problem:

 vinum -> setstate up vol.p0.s1 vol.p0.s0
 vinum -> saveconfig

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.