Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:01:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Islandman <schieb@centurytel.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Any pointers for burncd problem?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Islandman wrote:

> FreeBSD-questions wizards,
>
>  I thought I'd play with the CD burner this morning.  Seems to 'jsut
>  about' write the files OK, but complains in the end and the CDs are
>  inaccessible on FreeBSD or Win98. If you have any suggestions on the
>  sequence below, I'd be grateful...

Well, you need to make an iso image out of the files you want to burn onto
your CDs before you actually burn them, have a look at mkisofs in
/usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs. After having installed mkisofs, you'D burn a
CD about like that:

1) Copy all the files to be burned in a directory, for example
/home/nils/cddir

2) Run mkisofs *about* like this:
mkisofs -r -o /home/nils/cdimage /home/nils/cddir.
Actual options you will want to use may vary, but "man mkisofs" should
tell you all you need to know.

3) Now, burn the isp image:
burncd -f /dev/acd1c -s <speed> data /home/nils/cdimage fixate

That's about all! You can now mount your CD (use the mount_cd9660
command).

One more note: The erros you receive at the end of burning the CD can most
likely be discarded. I get them all of the time on an old Mitsumi burner,
yet all CDs burned by that device are perfectly usable.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org