Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:07:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        preacher <preacher@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I spin down IDE HDD in 3.3-RELEASE

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:50:34 +0400, preacher wrote:

> I've not vely old motherboard (Asus HX chipset 1996 year), witch BIOS
> support IDE HDD spin down, long time I used Win95 HDD correctly stopped,
> but when I installed FreeBSD that was 3.0-RELASE, my HDDs work without
> break, that's not good.

I don't see why. I would think that spin-up and spin-down causes more
wear than consistant spinning.

In any case, you'd need APM support in your kernel. I'm not sure how
stable the APM support in your release of FreeBSD is, and I'm not sure
you really need it, given my comment about wear above.

Ciao,
Sheldon.