Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:29:21 +0100
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a sysctl machdep.tsc_freq problem

ouyang kai wrote:
>   i found a strange case, i have tested the three machines(PIII 800 &
> FreeBSD4.9-stable,
> P4-1.6G & FreeBSD4.8-release, P4-2.0G & FreeBSD5.2.1).
>   I use "sysctl -a | grep machdep.tsc.freq" to get the CUP speed. But, I
> failed on the P4-1.6G machine. Nothing appears.
>  Should I set some additional stuff on the P4-1.6G machine? I have do
> nothing specailly for the other two machines, but it works.

Is the P4-1.6G machine a multi-processor system, that is, was the kernel
compiled with the SMP option?  If so, there is currently no TSC support
on multi-processor systems, for technical reasons I understand.  So in
this case 'machdep.tsc.freq' is omitted from the kernel and therefore
cannot be queried.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net