Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        John Clark <jc@netview.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ready for 2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5-RELEASE (best way?)

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, John Clark wrote:

> Hello again fellow FreeBSD-ers...
>

> The following is from the INSTALL.TXT file of the 2.1.5-RELEASE:

> What this upgrade will attempt to do is best summarized thusly:
>
>   1.  fsck and mount all file systems chosen in the label editor.
>   2.  Ask for a location to preserve your /etc directory into and do so.
>   3.  Extract all selected distributions on top of your existing system.
>   4.  Copy certain obvious files back from the preserved /etc, leaving the
>       rest of the /etc file merge up to the user.
>   5.  Drop user in a shell so that they may perform that merge before
>       rebooting into the new system.
>
> It would seem to me the best way to do this would be to fetch the entire
> /usr/src subdir and 'make world' -- like I did when I went 2.1-RELEASE ->
> 2.1-STABLE.  Anyone else try this / see a problem?  Where do I find the
> /usr/src?

I did this--I used the sup program to get the sources.  This is a
package you can get and install; you can comment out the distributions
you don't want.  Since sup only gets new sources, if this is how you
did it before, it won't take as long just to get the updated ones.

This (and the make world and kernel recompile) leave /etc alone, so
you have to do this yourself.  But my system's been running fine with
old /etc and everything else 2.1.5, and I'm gradually getting the /etc
stuff updated.

> Thanks again,

> John Clark
> [jc@netview.net]