Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 08:16:56 +0200 (CEST)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xterm bug, or w or who  bug???

I have noticed this strange behaviour of the xterm program.
When I run xterm and after I quit it, either issuing the
exit command in the shell or killing the window via window manager,
well the xterm process really is quit and xterm is closed but if I look
with w or who at the users on the system the xterm user process
is still present like an idle process and everytime I open a new xterm
and quit it, well this always happen and on my system the
w output look like this after a while:

 8:13AM  up 1 day, 23:15, 3 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.17, 0.17
USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
admin    p1  axdel1.bo.infn.i  7:59AM     1  (pine)
admin    p3  axdel1.bo.infn.i  8:12AM     - w
admin    p4  axdel1.bo.infn.i  8:13AM     - -

the last user showed is what I mean,and it is very weird
and if some users open many xterms and then quit well
the system is all messed up with not existent users.

If I look to processes with ps -aux these processes reported
by w and who are not existent....so I wonder is it a bug
of xterm or w or who or what else?

I tryed it on other 2.2.6 RELEASE systems and I found the same trouble.
Dos anyone know how to fix it??
thanks

Rick