Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:21:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

In reply:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 11:06:25AM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:
> >  > My guess is that Sun is beginning to feel the heat from FreeBSD and
> >  > Linux. Last time I looked very few people we running Solaris on X86. Mayby
> >  > they are starting to worry about all those older Sparc's running NetBSD.
> >
> > To be honest, x86 SOlaris has always been a bit a forgotten child in the
> > Sun family.
>
> Given the speed of Solaris on x86 I'm not surprised. When I was contracting
> at Sun earlier this year I went around installing FreeBSD on machines that
> were running Solaris. Even hard core Sun people were surprised at how much
> faster FreeBSD ran.

take note that in paragraph 2 of the license, it is stated:

----------
you will not use the Software for these purposes. You may not publish or
provide the results of any benchmark or comparison tests run on Software to any
third party without the prior written consent of Sun. No right, title or interest in or
----------

maybe this has something to do with what you were saying about the
performance...

anyhow, i still see this as a promising move by sun.  it could really
drop the cost of new low-budget development.  it could also boost
sparc sales.

the way i read the license, it doesn't stop wannabe developers from
developing new apps.  apps that can be migrated to the large scale
with merely a recompile.

it is also the first serious commercial threat to nt, but judgement on
that i will reserve for a future date.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or