Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:17:02 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and ipfilter bridging

On 8 Jun 2002, at 2:51, RJ45 wrote:

> Hello, I Wanted to ask at which point is right now the bridging between 2
> NICs on FreeBSD and possibility to filter between them using ipf ?? I
> don't like anymore OpenBSD since it switched to PF (it does not work as
> well as ipfilter) so I wanted to switch to FreeBSD but I guess if there is
> enough support for bridging+ipfilter. any hints?
> thanks

Well, I don't know about IPFILTER per se, but there is support for
bridging + filtering using IPFIREWALL. I just set up a box to do
that. There's tutorials on the FreeBSD site, but you kind of have to
dig around a bit because none of them is exhaustive. Check the
Handbook, Chapter 10 on Security. Also, read Chapter 9 on recompiling
your kernel (you probably already can do this unless OpenBSD is
totally different; I have no idea there). In the Docs section of the
web site you'll find a document on Bridging which also has good info.

Like I said, I don't know about IPFILTER because I haven't used it,
but I got a box running last night using IPFIREWALL and it works
great. I'm using it right now, as a matter of fact- it's filtering my
LAN traffic for me.

Regards,

Corey Snow