Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:05:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MPEG, ne pas sympa ?

Oliver Fromme:

> Well, MPEG streams are (unfortunately!) not verywell-suited
> for transmission via lossy media, like mbone (vic etc.).

Internet in general might be the same.

> This is because of the inter-dependencies embedded in the
> MPEG streams.  For example, when you lose some data while
> transmitting an MPEG video (or system) stream, _all_ the
> following data is useless till the next I-frame.  Similarly
> for audio:  when you lose data within a layer-3 stream, it
> not only destroys the current frame, but also the two next
> frames (worst case).

That would be maximum loss of around half a second for MPEG Video.
Isnt this acceptable ? Flickering screens....

Is this better with Sorensen ? Darling of the QT community..

Or realaudio ?

www.mp3.com was rather successfull with streaming mp3s, I think.
Maybe more as a social phenomenon.

But I like the simplicity of mpeg_encode and mtvp and there are a lot of
other MPEG Video players that can stream. Maybe it is like VHS and BETA,
BETA is better, but VHS is what the people want, hopefully..

H.