Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:51:01 -0700
From:      "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

What does the below have todo with poor ethernet performance? Hmm.. When a
tangeant starts off like this could someone take the initiative to change the
topic.

TIA

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Brett Glass was heard blurting out:

> At 02:30 PM 7/20/99 -0700, Tani Hosokawa wrote:
>
>  >I'm curious -- How long has FreeBSD existed?
>
> The name "FreeBSD" was coined in 1993, IIRC. But BSD
> UNIX has been around for decades, and free versions were
> around quite awhile before FreeBSD as a project was started.
> 386BSD, Net/2, Net/3, and NetBSD all pre-date FreeBSD, I
> believe. FreeBSD is largely based on BSD 4.4-Lite, but has
> diverged farther from it than NetBSD or OpenBSD.
>
> Linux was first released during a period when the legal
> status of the BSDs was in doubt. But it was far, far behind
> the BSDs at that point, and was still really a "toy" even
> by the time the lawsuit was resolved. BSD, by contrast, was
> already mature.
>
> Linux passed the BSDs in installed base, features, and
> device support due to evangelism and idealism -- "good
> memes," as my friends who are into Memetics say. FreeBSD
> is lagging behind because the nominal leaders of the project
> have not adopted similar approaches. Even OpenBSD is gaining
> on FreeBSD, albeit slowly, due to its reputation as a security-
> focused OS at a time when security is becoming a big concern.
> This is occurring despite a smaller development group, a
> project leader with a reputation for abrasiveness (though I
> personally like him), a less user-friendly install, less
> optimization for the x86 platform (they need to remain
> platform-independent, after all), and less widespread
> distribution.
>
> I'm now working with some investors who seem as if they
> might be interested in doing a heavily promoted, marketed,
> and supported BSD OS distribution. They don't want to
> reimplement the wheel or create a fragmentary effort,
> and so want to track an existing code base. They're
> currently torn between FreeBSD and OpenBSD as a basis
> for that package.  OpenBSD is missing a lot of things
> FreeBSD has got, but frankly, they're worried about the
> FreeBSD development team's antipathy toward evangelism.
>
> I'm rooting for FreeBSD as the final choice. So, I'm really
> hoping that the FreeBSD team will be willing to accept,
> if grudgingly, a more evangelistic approach to promoting
> the OS by third parties.

Ron Rosson              	... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 		   rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      	and all was null and void