Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vinay Bannai <bannai@best.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YA EtherExpress?

According to Snob Art Genre:
> While I was searching for information on fast ethernet (specifically,
> whether it's always switched, or can be shared), I came across the
> following:
>
>    The EtherExpress PRO/100 Smart Adapter is an intelligent server card
>    for Fast Ethernet networks. The PRO/100 Smart Adapter comes with an
>    on-board Intel i960 processor that offloads the host CPU and delivers
>    even lower CPU utilization and faster throughput than the standard
>    PRO/100 Adapters. The PRO/100 Adapters has a PCI bus and a NetWare
>    driver co-developed by Intel and Novell for optimal performance.
>
>    Price: $895
>    Version: PILA8485
>
> Has anyone heard of this?  Is there any point to it?  Does FreeBSD
> support it?

Not exactly the same, but something similar. I came across at some time on
a i960 based PCI card with a daughter module which could be either be
ethernet/ATM Oc-3c/sync RS422. It used a PLX pci bridge chip 9060 (or
something like that). I also have a FreeBSD driver for interfacing to the
PLX chip. It is not robust, but handles DMA's with read, write ability on
multiple open file descriptors.

So what is the bridge chip that is used for the PCI interconnect?

> (If anyone knows the answer to my fast ethernet question, that'd be
> great too.)

The function of switching is done by the hub or the ethernet switch and
not the card. So, you effectively can use any fast ethernet card for
switching depending on whetehr you are connected to a ethernet switch or
not.

Vinay