Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:28:58 -0800
From:      peter <peter@frontierflying.com>
To:        DougB@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: pine-4.58

Hello:

I am runing FreeBSD 4.9 and pine 4.58 from ports. I am testing a Comodo
SSL certificate. I am using imapd 2002d which seems to work fine with
Netscape mail, Mozilla mail, Thunderbird etc. All the clients can make
imaps connections without problems. The display the test certificate as
I would expect.

Pine 4.58 keeps giving me errors validating the certificate. I have my
imapd.pem located in /usr/local/certs and it consists of

my private key
my server crt
Comodo crt

The Comodo crt is issued under the GTECyberTrustRoot.crt. I have put
that crt into cert.pem in /usr/local/certs. Pine still complains it
can't validate the local certificate.(identifed as the Comodo crt).

I have also tried only placing my private key and server key in
imapd.pem and putting both the Comodo crt and GTE crt in the cert.pem
file but then pine complains it can't validate my server crt.

When the pine 4.58 is built it looks like it might be looking for the
certs in /usr/local/ssl/certs. I created that directory and placed the
pems in there but no change in behavior.

I have read over the pine-openssl HowTo faq by Heinlein but haven't
spotted my problem.

My certificates are working fine for apache with modssl, it is just
pine that is unhappy.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

peter