Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:03:14 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reclaiming irqs for unsupported PCI hardware?

> My take on the problem has been that Nate Williams and the PAO people
> don't get along.

For what i's worth, it's not an issue of 'get along' as much as an issue
with 'development differencees'.  The PAO folks are interested in laptop
(and only laptop) support patches that work around bugs in the existin
code and/or hardware, and I'm intersted in solutions that are relevant
for both desktop *AND* laptop users.

The PAO code oftens takes the 'easy' approach to the problem, which is
great if the only consumer is a laptop user, but this won't work on a
desktop, plus it often penalizes users who don't have problems.

Next, I'm not the laptop guy anymore.  Mike Smith *was* supposed to take
it over, but WC keeps him too busy with other work, so currently there
is no one doing the work.  Warner Losh has been doing quite a bit of
stuff, and Garrett Wollman is also working on some related issues, but
for the most part the laptop stuff has been abandoned.  (Even in PAO
it's been back-burnered for the most part.)

Does that mean that any/all patches are welcome?  As long as I've got a
say in the matter I'll speak my opinion on patches, but as far as
getting my hands too dirty you can look elsewhere, as I simply don't
have the time/desire to get involved anymore than I already am.

Nate