Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2011 02:30:49 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   7-STABLE NFS: fatal: "select lock: Permission denied"

I'm trying to simulate a diskless boot of FreeBSD, as am looking at moving
to a more 'thin client' environment, using a Netapp as a filer to provide
the file systems for FreeBSD front ends ...

To simulate this, I have two servers, both running 7-STABLE, one acting as
the nfs server (ie. simulated netapp), and the other the client ...

Both servers have a private and a public IP ... the nfs traffic is over
the private network ...

Initially, had issues with lockd that I got resolved ...

Settings in /etc/rc.conf on server are:

rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpcbind_flags="-h 192.168.1.9"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
mountd_enable="YES"
mountd_flags="-r -h 192.168.1.9"
nfs_server_flags="-u -n 8 -h 192.168.1.9"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"

Settings in /etc/rc.conf on the client are:

rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpcbind_flags="-h 192.168.1.1"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

===

/etc/fstab on the client has:

192.168.1.9:/vm /vm nfs rw,noauto,intr 0 0

/etc/exports on the server has:

/vm -network 192.168.1.0/24 -maproot=0 -alldirs

===

Now, to simulate the diskless, I built a jail on top of the mounted /vm
... that worked fine ...

I have several applications built and installed on it ... primarily,
apache 2.2 and postfix 2.7.x ...

Apache 2.2 + mod_fcgi + php 5.3.6 *appears* to work fine ...

Postfix, on the other hand, generates the error message in the subject
line when I try and run 'mailq':

     postfix/showq[19805]: fatal: select lock: Permission denied

Since the handbook as a section on diskless boot in Chapter 31:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-diskless.html

I assumed / hoped that things would run just fine ... am I wrong in that
assumption?  Or have I just overlooked a key setting in getting the nfs to
work?

Any suggestions / pointers are most welcome ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org