Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:20:48 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Josh Homan <josh@cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Procedure for installing -CURRENT

Josh Homan <josh@cse.ucsc.edu> types:
> Hey, can someone give me a quick 'sanity check' here? I'm wanting to
> install -CURRENT on a laptop to play with the new CardBus stuff. I've
> got a docking station for the machine that has an xl0 interface, so I
> don't need an exotic config if there's a cleaner way to install. Anyway,
> here's what I've come up with:
>
> a) install 4.2-RELEASE from CD. Install minimal installation.
> b) install cvsup-bin-1.6 package from ftp.
> c) boot minimal, config networking.
> d) create /etc/make.conf -- add CFLAGS= -O -pipe, COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe,
>    and NOPROFILE=TRUE (get these from /etc/defaults/make.conf)
> e) create /usr/sup/refuse -- copy from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse,
>    additional doc/* lines from refuse.README
> f) edit /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile:
>    change CHANGE_THIS to cvsup10, comment out *default compress,
>    and add ports-all
> g) cvsup -g -L2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
> h) cd /usr/src/; make -j4 buildworld >& BUILDWORLD.OUT &
> i) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf; cp NEWCARD STREAM
> j) edit STREAM for proper configuration (mostly, have a comment-fest)
> k) cp NEWCARD.hints /boot/device.hints
> l) cd /usr/src/; make -j4 buildkernel KERNCONF=STREAM >& BUILDKERN.OUT &
> m) make installkernel KERNCONF=STREAM >& INSTALLKERN.OUT &
> n) reboot to single user
> o) cd /usr/src/; make installworld >& INSTALLWORLD.OUT &
> p) mergemaster -iv
> q) customize to heart's content or sanity's limit
> r) reboot to spiffy NEWBUS world
>
> Basically, I'm asking if there's a simpler way to install -CURRENT, and
> if anyone sees if my procedure is obviously going to fail at some point

Assuming NEWCARD is the correct config, that's about right. You can
simplify things somewhat:

instead of adding ports-all and changing the host name in
standard-supfile, add:

	SUPHOST=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
	PORTSSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
	SUPFLAGS= -g -L 2 -P -

to /etc/make.conf. You can then do your update your sources with a
"make update" in /usr/src. You can also update just the ports with the
same command in /usr/ports. This creates some extra load on the
server, as it takes two connections (one for src and one for ports)
instead of just one.

Similarly, you can simplify your kernel build/install process by adding

	KERNCONF=STREAM

to /etc/make.conf. I'm not sure if -j4 works for buildkernel and/or
installkernel, but you can also do "make kernel" instead of
buildkernel & installkernel in two steps.

This is pretty much the process you have to go through to track any
branch of FreeBSD. Once you're done, tracking things is
straightforward.

I would be remiss if I didn't warn you that you're probably on your
own for support in -current. I hope "play" is an accurate description,
and you're not planning on doing any work on the machine after you
install -current.

	<mike