Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:19:00 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.usr.dist

> The problem I have with scripting will continue to be a problem until
> the /etc/rc* data embedding mess goes away so I can upgrade a system
> by overwriting everything but "/var/conf", or a similar directory,
> and by leaving the /home partition alone, with nothing else sacred.

Your problem with scripting may not be _MY_ problem with scripting.
That's why scripting is a good thing. ;-)

It lets each of us tailor the behavior of a system as may be required
for our own use without having it be a major hassle. Minor hassle to
be sure, but not major, mostly.

I don't have a /home partition.  Other folks do it a different way.
Some people like tomatoes.

It would be presumptuous of me to dictate to them how they should
configure their systems.

For me to suggest that a cleanup of /etc/rc* would be a bad thing
would be pretty silly on my part. I get to clean it up each time
I put in a production system. I get to clean up permissions and
ownership each time, too, and strip out cruft and insert what I
deem to be of hrrrumph critical importance. For the systems that
I'm just dinking with what the FreeBSD team have put together, I'm
either happy or resigned to leaving it the way they wanted, depending
on my mood. They've done a really good job, especially considering the
loosely-coupled development environment. It's damned amazing!

However, I'd consider anything that makes it very much harder for me
to make it the way I want it to be to be pretty much ill-conceived.

Regards,
Mike
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874