Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:00:07 +0100
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux_connect() is broken

Hi,

Martin Blapp (mbr@imp.ch) and I have been poking at a seemingly broken
linux_connect() in the linux emulation suite. Now I'm actually curious,
because there's a little voodoo going on which I don't quite understand
and I'd appreciate some clued people explaining it.

* inside a syscall, if I return (value); what happens?
* inside a syscall, if I set p->p_retval[0] to something, and then
  return (value); what happens ?
* Does this logic also apply to the Linux syscall stuff in the kernel?

Take a look at http://www.attic.ch/patches/linux-connect.txt .
This describes the problem with staroffice, and a couple of patches
mbr has been playing with. Since I don't know anything about the
syscall stuff I can't say whether his patches are correct or not.

Some clue would be appreciated here, so things like Linux Staroffice
can work properly, and some syscall clue can be gleaned.

Thanks!

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Programming is like sex:
<adrian@freebsd.org>		   One mistake and you have to support for