Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:09:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stop error in make world

Bill Moran wrote:

> John Reynolds~ wrote:
>
> > Well, I just cvsup'ed 1 hour ago and built world. No problems. That segfault
> > you got when building perl looks really odd. Other people have said that
> > segfaults during buildworld are generally hardware problems. Most likely
> > memory.
>
> I'd be surprised ... considering I did a successful `make world' about a
> month ago with no problems, and I've done many compilations (Apache,
> MySQL, php, ssh) on this machine with no problems prior to this. Still,
> it's a possibility, things do wear out/break/etc.
>
> > Any chance of you swapping out the memory in the machine?
>
> That's pretty much a last resort ... my goal is to fix this without
> having to drive 3.5 hours to the location where it exists. If nothing
> else works, I'll do that.
>
> > Anyway, just reporting "no errors" here with a fresh tree.
>
> Well, that's good news, it means I've botched something. I think the
> mistake is that I accidentally got a 3.X-STABLE tree over top the 4.X
> tree and the version of perl from 3.X (whatever version that is) isn't
> up to doing some of the chores that are required for a 4.X make world.
> My plan of attack at this point is:
> make -k buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildworld

I think if you really loaded a 3.5 tree on top, you will need to
follow the cvsup upgrade path for 3.5 to 4.1 in /usr/src/UPDATING.

You could also upgrade the binaries to 4.1-R and then rebuild userland
and the kernel. There were such massive changes to /etc and all of the
/binutils. I thought my "i" key was going to wear out running
mergemaster :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart