Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:40:58 +0100
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        "Patrick J. McNamee" <patm@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Start MySQL at system startup

Hi there,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:32:13PM -0500, Patrick J. McNamee wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Joseph Koenig wrote:
>
> > What file do I edit to make MySQL start when my system starts up? I know
> > on my linux box it was /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that doesn't exist on
> > FreeBSD. I looked at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and /etc/, but didn't see
> > anything that looked promising (basically, i didn't want to edit the
> > wrong file and break my system). I looked at the mysql web site under
> > the starting and stopping mysql automatically section, but that didn't
> > really help either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,
>
> I use /etc/rc.local.

That's the wrong file to edit imho.  The system rc.* files in /etc/
shouldn't be used to start local packages.  You should be putting
scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d - scripts in here (for eg. mysql.sh) are
called with the 'start' parameter when the system boots up.

If you install mysql from the ports tree, you should already have a file
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Cheers,
Marc