Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:40:50 -0500
From:      Ken Hansen <khansen@njcc.com>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

Joe McGuckin wrote:

> I think it would be neat
                      ^^^^
Note: not needed, or useful, but neat!

> if the install code had a www interface, so that I
> didn't need to scrounge up a keyboard & monitor in install freebsd.

Is it REALLY that hard to come up with a keyboard & monitor?

<snip>

> So, I'd put the boot floppy in the machine, hit reset, go over to my web browser
> and type in http://install.freebsd.org. If the machine hadn't booted, I'd
> get a web page from FreeBSD stating that. Once the machine had booted,
> the next time a hit 'refresh' on the browser, I'd get the first page of the
> install dialog.

So not only must the install diskette handle umpteen disk drivers, nic
drivers
and a nice generic VGA driver, not to mention modem drivers and PPP
support,
and a fair sampling of FAQs and READMEs to support an installation, you
feel
it also "should" have a web server, for those few people that want to
install
an OS without having to "scrounge up a keyboard & monitor"?

I don't know about your machines, but most of mine have 1.44 Meg
floppies, and
I would be hard pressed to think all that could fit on a 1.44 Meg
floppy!

> I think Cisco does something similar to this for their 'out-of-the-box'
> configuration.

I suspect that Cisco has more space dedicated to this process that 1.44
Meg,
but I am aware that a simple web server can be coded, it is (IMHO) a
non-
trivial undertaking.

Most PCs I am aware of require a video card (of some sort) and a
keyboard,
though I am aware that many of the newer BIOSs may alow you to skip the
POST
test of the keyboard (and video card?), but if the machine has problems,
where
do the console messages go?