Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:26:02 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: /dev/console -> /var/log/messages idea/patch

In message <200011251927.MAA17860@berserker.bsdi.com>, Chuck Paterson writes:

>	Is there reason to believe that we won't have dead lock
>problems from the M_WAITOK? It seems like that if anything in
>the path needed to full fill the malloc needs to log there
>is a problem.

We don't otherwise treat the /dev/console file descriptor magically.

Think about ktracing a process which writes to /dev/console,
debugging it and so on...

One can successfully argue that the relationship between the console
device and syslogd is needlessly incestous but until somebody
restructures the console code to be more sanely (or even just at
all) layered that is a "Sigh.. wouldn't it be nice if..." kind of
item.