Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        oneiros <oneiros@elend.fremde.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ultra 160 and performance

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0008220851460.607-100000@picnic.chuckr.org> Chuck Robey writes:
> : The BIOS is very intelligent, it recognizes the 29160 and allows me to set
> : the drive 0 on the 29160 as the boot drive, but when I do that, it just
> : hangs, no boot.
>
> Normally you get either the F1 FreeBSD prompt or the / of the spinner
> for boot1.  I take it you get neither of these?  Are you using boot0?

Seeing as I don't know how to directly check it, after it failed with
boot0cfg, I took the disk and initialized it from another machine, a clean
4.1 release install.  I'm pretty sure the disk is right now, but it still
fails, dark screen after the last bios boot screen (the screen when I
would normally see the F1 prompt is totally dark).

> Also, I was mistaken abut fdisk -s.  It doesn't break down things
> properly.  fdisk da3 will tell you for sure.  However, since the
> geometry looks reasonable, I don't think the fdisk issue is the
> problem.

Tonight, I'm going to take it down again, and stick the old 4G disk onto
the 29160, see if that boots from the new controller.  Sure would like to
find out it's a software problem.

This one's a bit odd.

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.