Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 96 23:16 WET DST
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers%freebsd.org@rwsystr.lonestar.org
Subject:   Looking for Web Server benchmark

I am looking for a program that will beat on a WWW Server
and give some measurement of performance, such as transactions
per second.

I am able to set up identical/same systems on a controlled network
running different operating systems and Web Server software,
and can place the same set of materials on each system so I
can eliminate a lot of the variables.  I just need something that
generates lots and lots of requests and measures volume/response
information.

I need numbers of some sort to argue some sense into some folks who
stood in front of the Microsponge booth at a trade show too long and
now think that the vast majority of WWW Servers are based on Windows
NT because they are faster and better (somewhat ambiguous claims here)
and other rubbish that even independent institutions (like Compuserve's
Web Crawler) have been able to dispute.  (Web Crawler says 83% are
UNIX-based, 12% are OS/2, 5% are NT, not exactly a "vast majority" for
NT.)

So anyone who knows of such a program that will do this job (preferably
free software), please send me EMAIL.  Thanks.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"... And now that I have a 51%
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | controlling interest of the
					    | world, I can now reveal that
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    | I am really a hamster!"
					      - President and CEO of
					        Microsponge